Monday, February 8, 2010

Grocery Price Points

As mentioned back here, blogger My Frugal Adventures has created a general pricepoint for a lot of grocery & drugstore products. She continues her series as described here:

This is part 3 of the price book series. As I mentioned before, I don’t usually like to discuss the prices I will pay for certain items because it really depends on where you live and where you shop. I live in a very high cost of living area and I do not have double coupons in any of my stores. So my prices are likely much higher than yours are! This is just to give you a very rough idea of what I consider a good price for certain staple items. I do not have a formal system of tracking prices- I just sort of remember them in my head. When a sale rolls around or coupons get me to the prices listed, I usually buy enough to last until the next sale. Typically I use 6 weeks as a rule of thumb for the next sale cycle, but again you will want to simply watch the ads in your area and see what works for you.

All prices reflect name brand products. I have found I get name brand items for much less than the generic version by using coupons and shopping the sales.

CHEESE: (Basic Cheddar or Mozzarella) $5.49 for 2 lbs (.17/oz)

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD: .99/loaf

EGGS: .99/dozen (usually I can get 18 for that price)

PASTA: .49 (I try to pay .25 or less)

BUTTER: $.99-1.50 (this is for quality butter like Challenge)

BANANAS: .39/lb

COFFEE: I usually pay $5.50-5.99 for a 29 oz tub. I like a specific brand or I could probably get a better deal. I do splurge on Tassimo disks but that is not in our grocery budget.

5 LB FLOUR: $1.99 is the highest I will pay. I try to get closer to $.99-1.49.

PASTA SAUCE: .49-.99 (again with double coupons you can likely get a much better deal!)

5 LB SUGAR: $1.49 or less

CRACKERS: .49 or less

CEREAL: I just reduced my buy price to .25 a box. I will occasionally pay a little more for Organic products or something new I want to try. Also I find Cheerios I have to pay a little more for. I will spend up to .70 per box.

OATMEAL: .49-.99 for instant oats

PEANUT BUTTER: .49-.99

JELLY: .99 (I will pay a little more to get a high quality product)

FROZEN PIZZA: $2.50 or less for a large pizza

CANNED VEGGIES: .25 is what I aim for but I will pay .50

CANNED SOUP: We don’t eat a lot of canned soup- I try to stock up on cooking soups for .50 or less a can

So those are just a few basics. You can see my drugstore prices HERE and meat stock up prices HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment